Saturday, October 11, 2008

Circle of life...

As you know we got 8 little baby chickens a few weeks ago.They moved out of the garage a couple of weeks ago into the chicken coop. The chickens love it and are running around all the time. A few times a day we walk down to the garden area were the coop is to check on the chicks. The kids love it and have chosen their own little chicken each. They have become really attached to these chickens.
Yeaterday we were walking towards the coop and as we get closer a hawk flied out of the coop..and I sew one of the chickens with its head off. Jonah understood what had happened and started crying..." The hawk killed my chicken". He was so sad and kept asking why the hawk would kill it. So I hurried intot he coop where I found the last 7 chickens iin a corner scared to death...so tI locked them for the rest of the day. Makenna did not really undertand, but she started crying because Jonah did. So I had to explain why some animals eat other animals and thats how Heavenly Father wanted it to be. It is the circle of life. They really wanted to make sure the Hawk would not eat them! They were also asking if Buster ( our dog that died a couple of years ago) would take care of the chicken with Heavenly Father. It comforted them to know that they were playing together now! Peter went last night to get some chicken wire to cover the top of their outside area...as I am sure the hawk wil come back.
Last night when I was putting Benjamin to sleep. Jonah came into the room to get his pajamas, and I heard him sit down and say a prayer for the chickens...it was so cute. " Dear Hevenly Father, please make sure the chicken has fun and that he is with God because I really miss her".
I am so thankful that I know how to talk to my kids about death. It is such a comfort to have the gospel and undertand the whole plan and purpose of life.

5 comments:

Maria said...

Hi Katrine, my name is Maria Lewis (Pivaral) and I served on Temple Square (Winwood, Cook), I found your blog through another TS sister, and I must say that I love your blog. You have some really beautiful pics and even more beautiful family. I was wondering what camera you used? I am looking to upgrade and, like I said, I loved how your pics came out. I realize that that has a lot to do with technique too. Kudos to you for signing up for a class. Anyway, I'd appreciate it if you would respond. My email is marialewis@byu.edu and my blog is mariaandnate.blogspot.com. Thanks.

Baker Family said...

Poor Jonah...that is a lot for a child to deal with. I hope that hawk stays away from your other chickens.

HaYn Mama said...

what a lesson to learn so young. thank goodness that the plan of salvation makes it so easy to explain death to our children!!!

how blessed are your children to be able to experience raising chickens. that reminds me of Pres. Monson and how he raised chickens and shared them with those he served.

Olivia said...

Such a sad but very sweet story.

HaYn Mama said...

Katrine you've been tagged!
Go check out my post 8 tag and have fun.
kisses,
Fuchi